Thread: Difference between Permanet and Kerry Broadband

Difference between Permanet and Kerry Broadband

Finally got a response from Permanet on the pricing issue. I asked them if they would price match Kerry BB for the business packages, they declined. One of the reasons stated is that permanet are licenced and KerryBB are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Permanet Account Supervisor
    Hi Jason,

Sorry I canít be more specific on the details as they are being hammered out at the moment. To answer your question on licensing, in being licensed our signal is protected by COMREG, whereas with unlicensed providers the signal is subject to outside interference.

If you have any other queries donít hesitate to let me know.
    I'm no expert so I don't know if this is an issue but it seems to me that Permanet would have had to bid for the licence therefore costs are higher.

Just thought I'd let you know like.

Would be good if KBB would like to comment on this.

ISP Representative

Licensed vs Unlicensed

I would be glad to comment.

Being a licensed operator simply reserves a part of the spectrum in order to provide a service to clients. It also has limitations as to the area which is serviced. At present the limit is 20 Km from the centre of the licensed area.
    Some licensed operators are breaching the terms of their license and servicing clients outside the 20 Km limit. This has an effect on the quality of the service provided and this is indicated on this very forum and can be seen by reading some of the threads posted regarding some of the licensed operators.

By the way, being an unlicensed operator does not mean in any way that any regulations are been breached. It simply means that unlicensed operators who are registered with Comreg as an Authorised provider can utilise the 2.4 and 5.8 Ghz spectrums in order to provide service to their customers. it would not be economically viable to purchase a license to provide service in, lets say, Ventry/Dingle area because the number of customers needed are just not there to make the cost of purchasing a license and installing licensed equipment viable. Instead we use the unlicensed spectrum to deliver a service to these and other areas.

At the end of the day, Permanet can offer their basic 512Kbps package(128 up, 512 down) using licensed equipment at a cost of 25.10 Euro and Kerry Broadband can offer a similar basic package but with 1Mb down and 512 up for 24.99 Euro. The days of a 512Kbps package are well gone and most operators are now offering 1Mb as their basic speed.
    I also see that Permanet did not absorb the recent .5% VAT increase when most others did. Strange???

It amazes me how a package can be advertised as 2Mb when the actual speed is 1Mb up/down. Surely a 2Mb package should be 2Mb up/down

Regards

KBB

Quote Originally Posted by KBB View Post
    I would be glad to comment.

Being a licensed operator simply reserves a part of the spectrum in order to provide a service to clients. It also has limitations as to the area which is serviced. At present the limit is 20 Km from the centre of the licensed area.
    Some licensed operators are breaching the terms of their license and servicing clients outside the 20 Km limit. This has an effect on the quality of the service provided and this is indicated on this very forum and can be seen by reading some of the threads posted regarding some of the licensed operators.

By the way, being an unlicensed operator does not mean in any way that any regulations are been breached. It simply means that unlicensed operators who are registered with Comreg as an Authorised provider can utilise the 2.4 and 5.8 Ghz spectrums in order to provide service to their customers. it would not be economically viable to purchase a license to provide service in, lets say, Ventry/Dingle area because the number of customers needed are just not there to make the cost of purchasing a license and installing licensed equipment viable. Instead we use the unlicensed spectrum to deliver a service to these and other areas.

At the end of the day, Permanet can offer their basic 512Kbps package(128 up, 512 down) using licensed equipment at a cost of 25.10 Euro and Kerry Broadband can offer a similar basic package but with 1Mb down and 512 up for 24.99 Euro. The days of a 512Kbps package are well gone and most operators are now offering 1Mb as their basic speed.
    I also see that Permanet did not absorb the recent .5% VAT increase when most others did. Strange???

It amazes me how a package can be advertised as 2Mb when the actual speed is 1Mb up/down. Surely a 2Mb package should be 2Mb up/down

Regards

KBB
    Thanks KBB for this interesting information. I had no idea of this licensing issue, and totally agree with you advertised speeds also. I'm very surprised with Permanet's packages as their package speeds, pricing and also their contention numbers are the same since they started up more than 3 years ago. Surely as the years go by pricing and speeds should progress as technology moves forward. This is why I'm starting to admire Kerry Broadband more and more as they upgrade their packages, absorb vat increases, 2mb means 2mb and they have someone like yourself KBB representing them well.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by KBB View Post
    I would be glad to comment....

KBB
    Thanks for the detail KBB.

Whilst I agree with many of the points you make you should focus more on what you do rather than the faults of others, this may cause a 'spat' that is avoidable.

Do you have a mast at Knockanure also? This is the mast I am on at the moment with Permanet.

Thanks.

kbb @ permanet

hi all

for more information on wireless broadband FWALA licensing look at comreg website Commission for Communications Regulation - ComReg futher info

ham radio

Quote Originally Posted by ch750536 View Post
    Do you have a mast at Knockanure also?
    Yes they do!

KBB, maby you already explained it but Why exactly cant they drop prices & increase speed because they are licensed?

And yes the fact that they advertise 2mb and its only a 1mb pack should not be allowed

And KBB, People in North Kerry still think Permanent are the only ISP in north kerry
    Iv met 3 people i know that told me they had Permanet installed(in the last 2 months) When I asked why they did not go with KBB they said they never heard of you! Then they are really pi$$ed off when I tell them your prices:D:D

Either way I think a nice add in the advertiser & Kerryman/eye would do no harm! Unless the licensing has some regulation on advertising!

Its only when I asked Google why permanent are cr@p(that was the jist of it) that this site came up and I found out about your wonderful service!

Quote Originally Posted by bamjames View Post
    KBB, maby you already explained it but Why exactly cant they drop prices & increase speed because they are licensed?

And yes the fact that they advertise 2mb and its only a 1mb pack should not be allowed

And KBB, People in North Kerry still think Permanent are the only ISP in north kerry
    Iv met 3 people i know that told me they had Permanet installed(in the last 2 months) When I asked why they did not go with KBB they said they never heard of you! Then they are really pi$$ed off when I tell them your prices:D:D

Either way I think a nice add in the advertiser & Kerryman/eye would do no harm! Unless the licensing has some regulation on advertising!

Its only when I asked Google why permanent are cr@p(that was the jist of it) that this site came up and I found out about your wonderful service!
    I've emailed Kerry Broadband over a week ago showing an interest in getting connected. Have had no reply at all. :o

kerrybroadband

hi

look at their website today all staff are training is week

ham radio

i am waiting for kerrybroadband install equipment